You Know Who... Wants His Regular Mic

 
Deep Thoughts Records
Northampton, MA

Back after a week off. I had to take a quick trip up to Massachusetts to go through my late uncle’s stuff. He was quite the hoarder, but I’m not one to talk. I frequently say uncle Rod, who lost his hearing to an infection at the age of two, would put my record collection to shame if he had hearing.
 
Every time I go to the Pioneer Valley, I hit some of the record shops in Amherst and Northampton, and even though it wasn’t financially prudent to do so this time, it was an inevitability. (I wasn’t that bad. I spent less than a hundred bucks.)
 
Long story short, I know that I have been taking quite a bit of time going through my vinyl acquisitions from the last several months for gems to share, and now I have even more. Today I was able to conquer a good chunk of it, and it made for a pretty good first act. It was definitely varied, with tunes from albums that I had been seeking for years, along with tracks from random albums picked up simply out of curiosity. (It’s a little nifty to put Brazilian singer Maria Bethânia next to David Crosby.)
 
In the “historical tracks” segment, we have a nice double-dose of David Byrne, both with Talking Heads and solo, while tunes by Ramones, Big Black, and the Specials kept the energy up. “Separate Ways” by Journey did provoke a tirade about how keyboardist Jonathan Cain’s puritanical beliefs and generally mushiness effectively ruined the band, even while leading them to their greatest successes.
 
Anyhoo… To quote the late great Marty DiBergi: “Enough of my yakkin’. What do you say? Let’s Boogie!”
 
Click here to check it out:
LIC Radio 7/20/2026
 
 
Sonny Rollins
“Keep Hold of Yourself”
(Sonny Rollins)
Festival de Jazz d'Antibes, Juan-les-Pins, FR, 7/20/78
Studio version released on Next Album  (Milestone, 1972)
 
 
Maria Bethânia
“Rosa dos Ventos”
(Chico Buarque)
From Rosa Dos Ventos - O Show Encantado  (Philips, 1971)
 
 
David Crosby
“Cowboy Movie”
(David Crosby)
From If I Could Only Remember My Name  (Atlantic, 1971)
 
 
Captain Beefheart
Photo by Lex van Rossen

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band
“You Know You're a Man”
(Don Van Vliet)
From Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)  (Warner Bros./Virgin, 1978)
 
 
Crawler
“Sail On”
(John Bundrick)
From Snake, Rattle & Roll (Epic, 1978)
 
 
Nick Lowe
“Stick It Where the Sun Don't Shine”
(Nick Lowe)
From Nick the Knife  (F-Beat/Columbia, 1982)
 
 
Jim Carroll
“Voices”
(Jim Carroll)
From I Write Your Name  (Atlantic, 1983)
 
 
Eurythmics
“Paint a Rumour”
(Annie Lennox, David A. Stewart)
From Touch  (RCA, 1983)
 
 
U.K.
“In the Dead of Night”
(Eddie Jobson, John Wetton)
Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL, 7/20/78
Studio version released on U.K.  (E.G., 1978)
 
 
David Byrne
Photo by Chalkie Davies

Talking Heads
“Artists Only”
(David Byrne, Wayne Zieve)
Nippon Seinenkan, Tokyo, JP, 7/20/79
Studio version released on More Songs About Buildings and Food  (Sire, 1978)
 
 
The Specials
“Monkey Man”
(Toots Hibbert)
Carnival House, Tokyo, JP, 7/20/80
Studio version released on The Specials  (2 Tone, 1979)
Originally recorded by The Maytals; released as single A-side (Beverly’s Records, 1969)
 
 
Ramones
“The KKK Took My Baby Away”
(Joey Ramone)
My Fathers Place, Old Rosilyn, NY, 7/20/82
Studio version released on Pleasant Dreams  (Sire, 1981)
 
 
Journey
“Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)”
(Jonathan Cain, Steve Perry)
Lloyd Noble Center, Norman, OK, 7/20/83
Studio version released on Frontiers  (Columbia, 1983)
 
 
Big Black
“Kerosene”
(Steve Albini, Santiago Durango, Dave Rile)
Kulturzentrum Schlachthof, Bremen, DE, 7/20/87
Studio version released on Atomizer  (Homestead, 1986)
 
 
David Byrne
“You and Eye”
(David Byrne)
Keswick Theater, Glenside, PA, 7/20/94
Studio version released on David Byrne  (Luaka Bop/Warner Bros., 1994)
 
 
John Hiatt
“Little Head”
(John Hiatt)
Penn's Landing, Philadelphia, PA, 7/20/97
Studio version released on Little Head  (Capitol, 1997)
 
 
Dr. John
“Iko Iko”
(James Crawford)
Pori Jazz Festival, Pori, FI, 7/20/00
Studio version released on Dr. John’s Gumbo  (Atco, 1972)
Originally recorded (as “Jock-A-Mo”) by James "Sugar Boy" Crawford and his Cane Cutters; released as single A-side (Checker, 1953)
 
 
Solomon Burke
“Everybody Needs Somebody to Love”
(Jerry Wexler, Bert Berns, Solomon Burke)
Penn's Landing, Philadelphia, PA, 7/20/02
Studio version released as single A-side (Atlantic, 1964)
 
 
Sex Pistols
“Roadrunner”
(Jonathan Richman)
From The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle  (Virgin, 1979)
Originally recorded by The Modern Lovers; released on The Modern Lovers  (Beserkley, 1976)
 
 
The Pogues
“Misty Morning, Albert Bridge”
(Jem Finer)
From Peace and Love  (Island, 1989)
 
 
Gerry Mulligan
“K-4 Pacific”
(Gerry Mulligan)
From The Age of Steam  (A&M, 1972)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For All of Your LIC Radio Needs…

You Know Who... Goes with the Flo

You Know Who... Is Right on Time