You Know Who... 8 Something

Jukka Tolonen

So I am due to have hip replacement surgery in just over a week, and the reason that I didn’t do the show yesterday was that I had a doctor’s appointment to get medical clearance for the procedure. Evidently, my doctor saw something that he didn’t like too much on my EKG and sent me over to see my cardiologist (who I haven’t seen in far too long). Evidently I need to have something called a “nuclear stress test” on Thursday to make sure I am healthy enough for surgery. Consequently, I have decided to start “sober ‘tober” a little early. So if I seem unenthused and fried, it is because I decided to take some edibles and see if that would work for the broadcast. I don’t remember much except for confusing Max Schmeling with Max Baer.
  
Click here to check it out:
LIC Radio 9/22/2026
 
 


Jukka Tolonen Band
“Tiger”
(Jukka Tolonen)
Popstudio Live, Helsinki, FI, 9/22/75
Studio version released on Hysterica  (Love, 1975)
 

Evidently, today is
National Hobbit Day

 Led Zeppelin
“Ramble On”
(Jimmy Page, Robert Plant)
From Led Zeppelin II  (Atlantic, 1969)
 
 
Pink Floyd
“The Gnome”
(Syd Barrett)
From The Piper at the Gates of Dawn  (EMI Columbia, 1967)
 
 
Barclay John Harvest
“Galadriel”
(John Lees)
From Once Again  (Harvest/Sire, 1971)


Cassandra Wilson w/Marian McPartland
“Blue Skies”
(Irving Berlin)
Museum of Television and Radio, New York, NY, 9/22/98
Originally composed for the Broadway musical, Betsy  (1926)

The late, great
Cassandra Wilson


Jefferson Airplane
“Diana” > “Volunteers”
(Paul Kantner, Grace Slick) (Marty Balin, Paul Kantner)
Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA, 9/22/72
“Volunteers” originally released on Volunteers  (RCA Victor, 1969)
 
 
The Cars
“Just What I Needed”
(Ric Ocasek)
The Palladium, New York City, NY, 9/22/78
Studio version released on The Cars  (Elektra, 1978)
 
 
Bruce Springsteen
“The River”
(Bruce Springsteen)
From The Legendary 1979 No Nukes Concerts (Columbia, 2021)
Recorded at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY, 9/22/79
Studio version released on The River  (Columbia, 1980)
 
 
Difford & Tilbrook
“Love's Crashing Waves”
(Chris Difford, Glenn Tilbrook)
Friars, Aylesbury, UK, 9/22/84
Studio version released on Difford & Tillbrook  (A&M, 1984)
 
 
David Lindley
Photo by Aaron Rapoport


David Lindley & El Rayo-X
“Mercury Blues”
(K. C. Douglas, Bob Geddins)
Old Town Bar & Grill, Eureka, CA, 9/22/85
Originally recorded as “Mercury Boogie” by the K.C. Douglas Trio; released as single A-side (Down Town, 1949)
 
 
U2
“I Will Follow”
(U2)
September 22, 1987
Foxboro Stadium, Foxboro, MA, 9/22/87
Studio version released on Boy  (Island, 1980)
 
 
David Bowie
“Afraid”
(David Bowie)
Max-Schmeling-Halle, Berlin, DE, 9/22/02
Studio version released on Heathen  (ISO, 2002)


Spooky Tooth
“Fantasy Satisfier”
(Mick Jones, Gary Wright)
Agora Ballroom Cleveland, OH, 7/15/74*
Studio recording released on The Mirror  (Island, 1974)
 
Mike Patto
Photo by Fin Costello

*This recording has circulated as 2/11/74, but as The Mirror was released in October of 1974, and they refer to it as their “new album which will be out in two or three weeks,” the February date is unlikely.


 Patto
“Hold Your Fire”
(Mike Patto, Ollie Halsall)
From  Hold Your Fire  (Vertigo, 1971)
 
 
Mahavishnu Orchestra
“Sister Andrea”
(Jan Hammer)
From The Lost Trident Sessions  (Columbia/Legacy, 1999)
Recorded at Trident Studios in London, UK in June of 1973

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For All of Your LIC Radio Needs…

You Know Who... Is Right on Time

You Know Who... Feels Eccentric